Wednesday 19 March 2014

Discussion boards and listservs can contribute to student learning?

Mailing Lists :
I think we can all agree that when we're automatically subscribed to a mailing list and then check our email to find 20 messages from something you don't remember subscribing to, it's a little annoying.  For this reason, I can't see a listserv fulfilling the purposes we want, especially if we're using them to communicate with parents.  On that same note, I'm grateful for the emails from stores that I actually enjoying shopping at, so I can know when I can go in for a sale.  I also appreciate it when, at the retail store where I work, people trust us with their emails and come and take advantage of the many sales and promotions that go on.  It's almost the beginning of bringing together a community.  It also makes sure that everyone gets the message.  I don't have to make a point of going to the websites of these stores to get the updates!  In the case of education, students wouldn't have to go to a class website or moodle to check on things, it'd come to them, and in most students' cases, to their phones!  I have forwarded my university email to my more commonly used email account because it comes to my phone! and I get updated on it regularly.  Before I did this, I missed an online quiz because the professor had put it up on Moodle and then emailed us.  No more missing quizzes for me! 

Discussion Boards :
I like the idea of being able to have students ask their questions in a discussion board.  I know as a student, I've discussed with my peers when we've all sent the professor the same question, and I'm sure he/she would have benefited from a discussion board from questions.  In fact, I also had another professor who encouraged us to ask questions to each other about our assignments through the discussion board on moodle.  It was very efficient, and students would start a discussion on any particular question in the assignment.  They'd help each other out on there.  However, recently I heard of a case in Ontario where a student was facing expulsion because of helping his peers through a facebook study group*.  I suppose the key here is in the moderator - monitoring the discussion.  This is something my professor could do thanks to moodle.  I've found that Moodle has a demo mode! It's a great way to explore exactly what one can do as a teacher :) instead of simply what we experience as students.  

Other ways? 
Perhaps my favourite tool I've found so far as a teacher is Remind101.  It allows you to make a "listserv" via text messaging! (students that don't have texting capacities can still get it in an email)  I, for one, check my texts more than my email even when I get both notifications on my phone!  I currently am part of a community where we get reminder text messages almost daily.  Even my phone company alerts me of my bill via monthly text message!  It's a receive only listserv, so it does not allow for two way communication, but it also keeps everyone's emails and phone numbers private.  My students/parents don't have to worry that I will be contacting them individually (you can only send out to everyone), and I don't have to worry about them having my personal phone number or about getting a secondary phone.  I'm not sure this is the way to communicate all information, but it'd be a good reminder or could even encourage parents to get in touch with you.

*"Ryerson student fighting cheating charges for Facebook study group." CBC News Toronto. CBC, 06 Mar 2008. Web. 19 Mar 2014. .

No comments:

Post a Comment