Monday 26 September 2016

1re journée de 1re année!!!

Well, it's been a long time coming, but I've finally landed my first full year, full time contract! I am teaching grade 1 French Immersion and SO excited (and terrified! haha!)

I had my first day with the kids on September 1st, and I am probably among the luckiest teacher of 25  (now 24) students :) No, they're not perfect, and yes, it is a lot of work, but I love them!

It has always been a huge part of my education philosophy that students need to feel loved, and that without a genuine love for their students, teachers don't accomplish as much as a teacher who does.

The first couple weeks of school I was told I was not going to be teaching much of the program of studies, but more routines and expectations.  I feel I have slipped some in my expectations, and, as usual, I'm struggling with my classroom management.   It'll be one of my goals this year, and my teacher mentor has already given me some great pointers which I am trying to set in order, so I can improve.  For starters, I need to stick to my guns (and remember where I point them too!).  I don't want to be known as the pushover, so I need to set how I need them to act :)

The other goal I've decided to focus on right away is in how I deliver the material... I feel I need to work on better engaging the students... One of the perks with teaching in the 21st century is the fact that I have this wonderful thing called the internet! and to add to it: Pinterest :P

Needless to say, I think I will always be working on improving my teaching... so here's to 2016-2017! May it be better than I think it will be! haha!

PS:

This was my classroom on the first day, not perfect, but definitely looking better than 3 days before school started!

No comments:

Post a Comment